expat blogger

living in Serbia

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

International Cat Collector

I am developing a cat collecting habit.


Two days ago I was at Walmart and heard a kitten meowing. There was a kitten hiding under a truck. I believe she had been dropped off. She is super friendly, but a little skiddish.

As people walked to thier cars I asked if the cat belonged to any of them, hoping she had just gotten out of a car window somehow. But no one claimed her. I went in did my shopping and came back out. When I went to my car, she came right to me. I took her home and began search for a good home for her.

That was all two days ago now. And my search for a home, including a facebook plea with pictures has not been answered. We may have ourselves a kitten.
Now for a name....
Kiger,  a mixture of Calico and Tiger, is in the running.  It is also my first nephews childhood name for lions. A funny memory.

As we told my father in law this story over skype, I felt the need to tell him it is not normal to see stray animals walking around like you do in Serbia. Most animals here have homes, unlike their many international counterparts. Strays are the exception, not the norm.

This situation made me compare my two homes again mentally.  Attitudes toward pets are a bit different internationally. They are both loved immeasurably. The name for pets in Serbian is Lubimats, which is a form of the word love that means pet. (Serbs, please for give the spelling. I only write it the way it sounds so that English speakers will know how it is pronounced.)

A contrast, at least in my part of Serbia is the lack of spaying an neutering. When I told my husband and his friends that I wanted to neuter my Tomo, our Serbian cat. Male pitty for the cats lack of a sex life came at me from all directions. The thought of so many more kittens running the street was not a concern.

And at one time, all animals were wild and had to fend for themselves. Having a home with a loving family was not even possible. Domestication of animals has happened over time and become the norm.

The even greater difference is the Socio-Ecconomic standards of living internationally. If one is worrying about the cost of bread rising from 30 Dinars to 80 dinars, chances are, an animals reproductive capabilities are pretty low on the list of considerations in life.

My Cross-cultural education continues. May I be quick to learn, eager to understand, and slow to judge. There are always reasons for the way we think. Sometimes it takes some time to figure out the reasons.

No comments: